Trust and Accounting Section

Trust Frequently Asked Questions

George L. Allen, Sr. Courts Building – 600 Commerce Street, Suite B20, Dallas, Texas 75202
Trust: (214) 653-7161 | Accounting: (214) 653-7260 


How do I post a Bond?

A court order is required to post a bond. However, Supersedeas or Cost Bonds do not require a court order.

What types of negotiable instruments are accepted for posting a Bond?

You can post a bond using one of the following negotiable instruments:

  • Cash
  • Check (No temporary checks are accepted)
  • Money Order (Make payable to: Felicia Pitre District Clerk)
  • Wire Transfers

Surety Bonds:

There are two types of Surety Bonds an individual can use. Please see below two options below.

  • Personal: Two sureties swearing to the fact that they each own separate non-exempt property in Dallas County. Notarized affidavit swearing to the fact attached.
  • Corporate: You must also have a signature of the principal (usually PLTF). Also a signature of the surety with power-of-attorney attached for that person who signed as surety.

How do I get my cash or Surety Bond back?

You must provide the Trust Department a court order signed by the judge.

Court Registry:

What types of negotiable instruments do you accept for deposit in the Court Registry?

We accept cash, checks (personal, cashier or business - no temporary checks are accepted), money orders, and wire transfers.

How do I get a court order?

You need to see your legal representative, attorney or you can do it Pro Se (represent yourself). If you want to represent yourself you can get the necessary legal documents from the Law Library located on the 2nd Floor of the George L. Allen, Sr. Courts Building.

Do I need a court order to put money in the Court Registry?

No, you do not need a court order to place money in the Court Registry.

Do I need a court order to receive funds?

Yes, you need a court order signed by the judge authorizing the Trust Department to disburse funds.

Are all funds deposited in Court Registry earning interest?

No, the only funds that earn interest in the Registry are ones that have a Social Security or Tax ID numbers provided with the Registry Deposit Form. The word “YES” also needs checked on the Registry Deposit Form, telling the Trust Department to invest the funds.

Trust Accounts:

When can I close my trust account and receive my money?

You can submit the paperwork to close your account on your 18thbirthday.

How long will it take before I can receive my money?

It usually takes 5 to 10 business days to close out the account.

What do I need to close my trust account?

You must provide a written and signed request asking to close your account. The request must be written and signed by the minor. A copy of your birth certificate and valid picture identification is also required. Any one of the following forms of ID are acceptable; Drivers License, Passport, State issued ID or current school ID.

Can I mail, fax or bring in the documents to close my trust account?

Yes, you can bring in your documents personally, fax or mail them in. If you decide to Fax them please contact the Trust Department prior to faxing documents for additional information. If you plan to mail copies of your documents please send legible copies to the below address:

Dallas County District Clerk
(Attn: Trust Department) Level B
George L. Allen Sr. Courts Building
600 Commerce Street
Dallas, TX 75202-4606

Can I transfer the money to my checking or savings account I currently have?

No, you will receive a check from the Dallas County District Clerk.

Can I have my check mailed to me or can I pick it up?

Yes, you have the option to either pick up your check at the District Clerk Trust Department which is located in the George L. Allen, Sr. Courts Building on Level B. Or you can have your check mailed to you. If you choose to have your check mailed to your residence please ensure we have a valid and current address for you.