Vehicle Registration FAQ's

Q: Where can I renew my vehicle registration?
A: You can register online via the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles website - Online Registration Renewal, visit one of our Tax Office locations, or visit one of many neighborhood locations. You can also mail your renewal notice, insurance and check to:

Dallas County Tax Office
P.O. Box 139033
Dallas, TX 75313-9033
Attn: Mail Registration

Q: What is the mailing address for Dallas County vehicle renewals?

Dallas County Tax Office
P.O. Box 139033
Dallas, TX 75313-9033
Attn: Mail Registration

Q: I lost my current renewal sticker; what should I do?
A: Complete form VTR-60 and visit one of our tax office locations with $6.50 to obtain a replacement sticker, or mail the completed form VTR-60 with $6.50 and a copy of your ID to:

Dallas County Tax Office
P.O. Box 139033
Dallas, TX 75313-9033
Attn: Mail Registration

Q: I don’t have my renewal notice; how can I register my vehicle?
A: Provide your license plate or vehicle identification number. Call 214-653-7811 or email for detailed information specific to your vehicle record.

Q: How do I register a vehicle for someone else?
A: You will need:

Call 214-653-7811 during business hours or email, for additional information.

Q: Am I still required to get new plates every seven years?
A: No, plates are no longer mandatory to be changed every seven years.

Q: How do I get disabled license plates or placards?
A: To obtain permanent placards, your doctor must complete form VTR-214 (Application for Disabled Plates/Placards). The doctor can either notarize the form or provide a written prescription that indicates that the disability is permanent. The application, along with the prescription, if applicable, and a copy of your ID can be mailed to Dallas County Tax Office, 1201 Elm Street, Suite 2600, Dallas, TX 75270, or visit the nearest tax office location. A permanent placard is issued for a time period of four (4) years and there is no fee.

To obtain a temporary placard, the same paperwork is required as the permanent placard, except the prescription will state the disability is temporary in nature. Temporary placards are issued for a period of six (6) months and are $5.00 per placard.

For disabled license plates, the same paperwork is required as permanent placards, along with the information of the vehicle that the disabled plates will be assigned to.

If you have any questions, email us at, or call 214-653-7811.

Q: What are the state insurance liability requirements?

Q: How do I get insurance on a vehicle that is not in my name?
A: Contact your insurance agent.

Q: Why do I need car insurance to transfer a car title?
A: It is Texas State Law that the buyer must have liability insurance. If your title is transferred within 30 days of purchase, you may use the existing insurance. If transferred after 30 days, the new car should be reflected on the insurance.

Q: Who do I make my check, cashier's check or money order payable to?
A: John R. Ames, CTA, Tax Assessor/Collector

Q: What types of payment methods are accepted?
A: In person at any of our convenient locations:

By Mail:


A $30.00 fee will be assessed on returned items (NSF, Stop Payment, and Closed Account).

Q: How do I transfer my special or personalized license plates to a new vehicle?
A: Visit one of our Tax office locations for this exchange. Bring your identification, insurance or registration receipt of the vehicle that you want your new plates to be assigned to. If you have any questions, contact us at

Q: What are the fees to transfer a motor vehicle title?
A: When you apply for a vehicle title, you must pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25% of the purchase price. If buying a used vehicle from a private party, 80% of the standard presumptive value or 6.25% of the purchase price (whichever is greater) will determine the motor vehicle sales tax due at the time of titling.

You will also be charged a title transfer, registration and local fees. For more information about specific vehicle title transfers and fees, email us at or call Customer Care Center at 214-653-7811.

Q: I can’t find my title. How do I apply for another?
A: If a title is misplaced, you can apply for a certified copy by mail, or in person at your nearest Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Regional Office.

Q: I moved to Texas from another state. How do I get Texas Title and Registration?
A: New residents need an original vehicle inspection report, proof of liability insurance that meets Texas requirements 30/60/25, lien information, odometer reading (if it is less than 10 years old), out-of-state title or proof of registration, completed form VTR 130-U, along with registration fee, title application fee and new resident tax. For detailed information regarding fees or other questions, please email or call us at 214-653-7811 during business hours.

Q: How do I transfer a vehicle title that belonged to someone now deceased?
A: If the deceased left a will and the will was probated, you’ll need certified copies of the Will and Muniment of Title or Letters of Testamentary from the Probate Court. The person appointed as executor will sign the back of the title and the Application for Title form VTR 130-U. If there was no will or a will was not probated, an Affidavit of Heirship form VTR-262, must be signed by all heirs and notarized.

For additional information, email or call us at 214-653-7811 during business hours.

Q: I paid off my vehicle loan. How do I remove the lien and get a new title?
A: You will need:

Q: Does a title have to be notarized?
A: No, it does not require notarization.

Find and Follow Us on FB