Under Texas law (Government Code, Chapter 552), the public has the right to access most Dallas County records. Dallas County officials and departments are expected to promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, unless an exception to disclosure exists or an Attorney General's Opinion is sought.
Procedures to Obtain Information
While some departments provide certain information informally, generally, the following procedure should be followed when requesting information from Dallas County.
- Submit your written request by mail, fax or in person to the appropriate Dallas County department or to the Public Information Officers identified below.
- Include enough description and detail about the request to enable the County to accurately identify and locate the information requested.
- Cooperate with the County's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested.
- Respond to written estimates of charges for reproducing records and make timely payment for all mutually agreed charges.
To request information from Dallas County you may send your request to:
For County Departments:
Commissioners Court Administrator
411 Elm Street, 2nd floor
Dallas, Texas 75202
For Elected Officials:
- Address your request to the Individual elected officer.