Justice of the Peace 3-1
Information for Pro Se Litigants in Justice Court
10056 Marsh Lane, Suite 132, North Dallas Government Center, Dallas, Texas 75229-6017
(214) 321-4106 Main •
(214) 321-4912 Fax
Office E-mail: JP31Court@dallascounty.org
Hours of Operation:
8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Monday - Friday
Se Habla Español
Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Part V Rules of Practice in Justice Court
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, Chapter 15
Texas Rules of Evidence
- A " Pro-Se " litigant (plaintiff or defendant) is one who does not retain a lawyer and appears for himself in court.
- Unlike Small Claims Court , in JUSTICE COURT you are expected to know and follow the laws and rules just as if you had an attorney. These rules include, but are not limited to , the Rules of Evidence, Rules of Civil Procedure, and The Lawyer’s Creed.
- You are prohibited from having any contact with the Judge presiding over the case unless all parties and their attorneys are present. This prohibited communication includes phone calls, notes, letters, messages, faxes, e-mails, and direct or indirect conversations. Formal pleadings, motions, and requests for relief filed with the clerk of the court are not considered prohibited communication .
- For every pleading you file with the court, you must send a copy to the opposing party's attorney, or the opposing party if they are pro-se.
- For any Court Setting or Court Order that you obtain, you must give notice to the opposing party's attorney, or the opposing party if they are pro-se . You must also file a copy of all such notices with the clerk of the court.
- The Judge, court clerk, bailiff, or attorney for the opposing party cannot give you legal advice.
- Violations of any of the above may result in severe sanctions being granted against you.
The following associations may assist you in obtaining an attorney or legal advice:
- North Texas Legal Services/Bar Association Volunteer Program - (214) 742-5768
- Dallas Bar Association Legal Line (limited telephone questions) - (214) 969-7066
- Mesquite Bar Referral Service (fee basis) - (972) 270-2102
- Richardson Attorney Referral Service (fee basis) - (972) 690-6113