Weather  WEATHER/TRAFFIC
wilflowers
mccommas bluff

 

 

 

 

McCommas Bluff Preserve

Dallas, Texas                         111 acres

Entrance:  West end of Fairport off of Murdock Road

Mapsco:    58, Section "X"

                68, Sections "A" and "B"

logo

Preserve Features mcommas map

This 111-acre wooded preserve lies along a winding segment of the Trinity River in the southeastern portion of Dallas.  The river in this area has numerous serpentine bends, and over the years, it has undercut its chalk banks and has created a small-scale canyon.

Visitors may find the preserve best-suited for hiking, nature study, fishing, and informal picnicking.

The preserve is also located just across Elam Creek from the Trinity River Audubon Center.  This Center, which contains 120 acres, offers educational programs, on-hands exhibits, and five miles of trail.

PreMCCOMMAS BLUFF PRESERVEserve History

The remains of a lock and dam that were part of a never-completed 1890 Trinity River navigation system can be seen from this property.

The Sallie Haynes, a river boat, made several trips along this stretch of the river before it became obvious that the river was not friendly to paddle-wheel boats.

1880s outlaws Belle Starr and the Daltons camped at a spring that is located on property adjacent to the preserve.

mccommasPreserve Amenities

A 2–mile natural surface ranch road connects Riverwood and Fairport Roads and provides a pleasant walk.

Informal on-street parking is available at the end of Riverwood and Fairport Roads.

pictureMaintenance

McCommas Bluff Preserve is maintained by the City of Dallas.  To report maintenance issues, please call the City of Dallas Parks and Recreation Department  at   (214) 671-0234.

Restricted Uses

Hunting and the use of alcohol, motorized vehicles, fireworks, or weapons are not permitted within the Preserve.