Titling an Imported Vehicle
To register a foreign vehicle in Texas requires:
- Ownership evidence (title or registration receipt)
- Inspection Certificate VI30-A (Texas Safety Inspection)
- Form VTR-68-A (Application for Assigned or Reassigned VIN)
- Must be completed by Municipal Police Auto Theft Unit or County Sheriff's Department Auto Theft Unit
- For City of Dallas residents contact the Auto Theft Unit 214-670-5900 and make an appointment.
- Form VTR-68-A can only be obtained at your local tax assessor/collector office.
- Proof of liability insurance meeting State of Texas minimum requirements.
- Weight Certificate (for truck over 1 ton or a motor home)
- Government Issued Identification - click for list of approved identification
- If the ownership and description of a vehicle cannot be determined or there is doubt regarding information on a foreign document, a translation into the English language is required. The translation must contain a notarized or acknowledged affidavit from the translator, including the name and address of the translator.
- VTR-130U – Application for Texas Title
- VTR-272 – Application for Registration Purposes Only